Old May 7th 04, 04:38 PM
David J. Littleboy

Default Rule of f16

"Hemi4268" wrote:

In Japan, my eye tells me that the light is bright and harsh, but when I
actually meter things, f/8 seems to be the most common result at 1/film
speed.

At f-8 would mean 1250 foot candles. Maybe London at Christmas time.

Maybe
even North Korea but your at least a stop off anywhere in Japan.

Yes. I realize that. But the slides are coming out just fine. I'm using a
spot meter, looking at the subject, deciding whether I want it at zone IV,
V, or VI, and setting the exposure accordingly*. Recently, I've been doing
reality check against sunny 16, and I've observed that sunny 16 rarely gives
the same answer: sunny 8 seems right.

*: When the subject or part thereof falls in that range, of course.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan