Old August 24th 04, 08:56 PM
Paul W. Ross

Interestingly enough, I've found a hunter's "Dry Box," made by Plano
to be the most useful -- put some foam padding in the bottom. Tray
holds smallers stuff, and there is a compartment in the lid that is
nice for film. Holds 2 Pentax bodies, a couple spare lenses, film,
cable release, small flash, filters, lens hoods. Is water/dust tight.
Since I go most places in my car, this works well. For plane trips,
then some sort of smaller bag, or a backpack. Lenses are in padded
bags, as well as the camera bodies (B&H photo has these).

I do my B&W at home, or use a changing bag and daylight tank at my
summer place, and do the printing when I get back to home base. Color
at whatever local processor I have available.

As to film/exposure, the guides are just that -- a guide. Some
experimentation with a hand-held meter, 18% gray card or a MacBeth
chart are very insightful. Also read some of the Ansel Adams books for
starters.

Above all, take pictures! Critique your work. Get somebody else to
take a look at it.

For "instant" feedback, play around with a digital camera. You can
learn a lot quickly.