Old April 14th 05, 11:17 PM

After the first year I did weddings, I starting giving the couple the negs
along with their prints. Why? Because I got tired of running to the lab for
one 5 x 7 of Aunt Tilly....I figured it out one afternoon and discovered
that I LOST money on reprints unless they ordered around ten or more.
Figuring my time(it took an hour to get to my lab) gas,wear and tear on my
truck and more of the same on the return trip to pick up the reprints!
Plus,after reading about a lawsuit in Texas where a couple who had been
married 5 years and had NEVER ordered any reprints,sued a photographer who's
studio burned to the ground when the dry cleaners next door went up in
flames for not taking proper care of their wedding negs and collected !
After that, I decided I didn't want to be storing negatives for
anybody..plus there's the problem of storage.....file cabinets cost $$$ for
good ones and they take up space.
Around this area,the deal seems to be that the studios call the couple after
about 2 years and ask them if they'd like to buy the negs

"ian green" wrote in message
"Randall Ainsworth" :

I didn't when I was in business and wouldn't if I were doing it today.
You can make good money on reprints. Plus, quality control is in your
hands.

let me insert my question on topic in your discussion

is it common practice to give away negatives/scans to photo agency without
any obligations from the agency?
i have just that case: photo stock agency wants all my negatives (return
after 45 days) then i should wait for "their call".
i called 'em suckers, they said it's "common practice"....

--

ian green
Xeto : photo & graphic project