Old January 24th 05, 12:28 AM
Dr. Georg N.Nyman

Snapshotsid wrote:
I'm not even sure how to ask this question but....I would like to know how I
can take advantage of medium format quality when I convert it to a digital
file. Obviously there are no digital cameras with large format that anyone can
afford....so...what do I do? Just scan the high quality photo I get from a
medium format negative.....and if I do, how do I translate that high
quality/resolution into a high quality digital file? Or put another way, would
I get just as good quality from say, the 8 megapixil Nikon camera? If anyone
understands this question, please help ok? Thanks

My approach is that I take medium format images and then scan them with
a Nikon Coolscan 8000ED at max. resolution. This is good enough for most
work, but if I want really good prints, I go to a friend who owns a
Heidelberg drum scanner and do the work there. The files are large ( up
to several hundred MB per shot ) but it is worth the effort...
And to answer the second part of your question - a Nikon 8Mpx camera is
very fine and gives excellent images but if you print at a size of 13x19
or 17x25 or larger, you see the difference very clearly.
Rgds George