Old October 11th 04, 06:07 PM
Jim

"Jimmy Pop" wrote in message
I have been using a "prosumer" camera and was looking into upgrading to

the
20D. What is the reasoning behind the 3:2 aspect ratio?

None. It all started when Leitz decided to make a camera for testing 35mm
movie film. They decided on a camera which exposed 2 frames of the movie
film at once.
As the movie frames were (and still may be for all I know or care) 18x24,
the resulting sixe for the still camera was 24x36. This image size is not
convenient to use for producing any of the common prints sizes except 4x6,
However, most of us don't use all of the frame anyway. So, regardless of
the image size some cropping usually needed, and the 3:2 format has been
with us ever since the 1920s.
Jim