Old September 30th 05, 05:41 PM
Neil Ellwood

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 04:44:00 +0000, Paul J Gans wrote:

I dimly recall the term "prime lens" as being the
lens whose focal length was equal (at least roughly)
to the diagonal of the film frame. That made a 50mm
(or 45mm) lens "prime" for 35mm film.

In the UK in the sixties they were called normal lenses.

A 135mm lens was then a "telephoto" and a 35mm lens
was a "wideangle".

The 135mm was often called a long focus lens (which most at that time
were), the 35mm were often retro-focus lenses but I cannot ever remember
them being called that.
Zoom hadn't been invented yet.

Zooms were used on cine cameras quite a while before still.

--
Neil
Delete delete to reply by email