Old March 1st 14, 02:48 PM posted to sci.engr.color,sci.image.processing,rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.digital,comp.soft-sys.matlab
Jeroen[_2_]

Default dynamic range and exposure latitude?

Hi,

On 2014-03-01 13:17, Dale wrote:
On 03/01/2014 06:08 AM, Jeroen wrote:
You will be happy to learn that the movie and TV industries
are collaborating on new standards for any or all of:
- high dynamic range (luminance between 10^-4 and 10^4 nit)
- wide color gamut (the entire visible spectrum, and more)
- higher static resolution (4k x 2k, 8k x 4k), and
- higher frame rates (60, 120, maybe 240 fps).

mpeg or ICC or ?

SMPTE, MPEG, BDA, ITU, ...

if film workflows exist long enough, I thinkk you could design a hbrid
system with ONE film, ONE chemical process, and a scanner, writer, and
projector best suited to such film

Not likely, the future is digital and digital intermediate.

I think the film could be negative,, higher exposure latitude, but you
would have to have a scanner, writer, projector designed for that film,
this does mean approvals/edits would have to be viewing "soft" display
or display(output) approvals

HDR digital cameras already exist. It's the displays that
are the problem. Or, more often, the lamp power.

a digital projector could receive the right codes values from the right
ICC color management system

Yes yes. Accuracy in Digital Cinema is of prime importance.

http"//www.kodak.com

they claim video clips highlights, there is no "toe" in digital
contrast, and small gamut sRGB doesn't help, I see dress white shirts
clipped on my CRT television

This is all typical of low dynamic range TV.
Trust me that things are about to change in a big way.

with the right film characterization information, one could develop a
hybrid ICC system to suit Kodak's motion picture catalog, if there is
time before digital capture, manipulation and projection replace the
industry's establishment investment

Not likely to happen. Digital is so much more flexible.
But the experience of the Kodak experts is always appreciated.

so what type of information will you need?

Information is one thing, understanding how to use it is
another thing. And then to keep it simple...

any mathematician can take it from here to get all use cases
if you want me to do a use case, just reply, I have a lot of time on my
hands

You are making that clear. ;-)
Today's problem are of a different natu how to best combine
legacy with future needs. To build a standard that can span
decades. And how to reduce the traditional television artefacts
due to trying to do too much with too few bits.

Many displays will have low dynamic range, narrow color
gamut, low resolution or low frame rates. Maintaining
compatibility with this legacy requires some form of
remapping of the content to the target display gamut.
If this is not sufficiently predictable then the creative
community may decide to stick with the old standards,
because then at least the result is entirely predictable.

if you allowed people their choice of RIMM, ERIMM, ROMM, PRM(G) or some
appearance that is standard to their use case you could solve this

Sounds good. Maybe you can give some thought on how a DCI P3
color gamut carried in a BT.2020 wide color gamut can be
automatically mapped back into a BT.709 (sRGB) color gamut ?
There will be a lot of need for that, because most UHD ("4k")
standards will be based on BT.2020 color primaries.

Best,
-- J