Old January 29th 07, 11:07 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
RolandRB

Default "The Gimp" and its plugins?

On 29 Jan, 12:00, Lassi Hippeläinen
wrote:
Richard Polhill wrote:
RolandRB wrote:
Does anyone use "The Gimp" as an image editor and if so, which plugins
do you recommend?

Yes it is a perfectly acceptable alternative to PhotoShop. Interface may
take some getting used to but no more than Photoshop's.Agree in both cases.

I have not yet found the need for any plugins, in fact the compiled
binaries on Windows and Mac OS come with verious special effects plug
ins that mostly I've never even looked at.If you want to scan directly from Gimp, you'll need the Xsane plugin.

I'm not sure if it comes with the Windows or Mac versions by default. It
doesn't with Kubuntu Linux packages, but it is only a few clicks away in
Synaptic.

What plug ins do you think you might need?I.e. what effects do you need?

I note they have a despckler but I was wanting something more to
reduce film grain.