Old August 26th 15, 01:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Problem saving screen profile file.

On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 08:28:29 -0700, Bill W
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 21:13:42 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 23:51:12 -0700, Bill W
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 15:56:24 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 17:00:04 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

Dell maintains a program of driver updates so, initially, I thought I
was OK there. But now I have discovered the Dell diagnostic and update
software doesn't work and I wonder if the Evil Empire is to blame.

I forgive Bill Gates. I don't think it's him. Whatever has happened
turned off file scanning in McAfee and refused to let me turn it back
on. I had to completely uninstall and then reinstall before McAfee
would work properly again.

Instead of relying on Dell I have got stuck in with Driver Detective.
While that found a few out of date drivers, updating them has made no
difference to my basic problem.

I'm going to bring up folder permissions again. If you Google this,
there will be examples of what the folder with your calibration file
should look like. If something went awry with a group policy, or
possibly just some folders, that might cause this. You have to drill
pretty far down into the permissions windows to check everything.

Sorry: I should have mentioned this earlier. I went through all this
at the very beginning, to the point where I created new users with the
ability to get at everything.

That might not be enough. The folder permissions should look like
this: http://i.imgur.com/cI8a6OY.jpg

Yep. Got there at a very early stage. Did that.

Go to the folder that holds the .icm file, right click it, and choose
properties. Then to go the security tab, and click "advanced" towards
the lower right. Your list should look the same, except I'm not sure
if Win7 lists "all application packages" as a user. You can double
click any entry to see more details, including more advanced settings,
and effective permissions.

And I would still check for at least a bios update on the Dell site,
even if you don't want to check for all mainboard drivers.

Tomorrow.

Done.

The problem remains. :-(

Eric Stevens