Old April 28th 18, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim Watts

Default Lightroom, MacBook with limited internal storage - how to workwith several external USB sticks

On 28/04/18 19:45, Savageduck wrote:
On Apr 28, 2018, Tim Watts wrote
(in ):

I'm trying to understand LR Classic and/or CC's concept of storage.

To start with LR CCC will store locally on local HDD/SSD along with a good
backup plan, while LR CC is intended to store using Adobe’s Cloud service
so that files will be available to mobile devices.

I have a MacBook - it has 512GB internal SSD which will be shared with
several users (family).

Start by being selfish and don’t share the MacBook with the family. Get the
family their own MacBook.

Lob us a couple of grand and you're on mate!

Seriously, not that rich...

So I cannot have my entire photo collection on there (in terms of the
originals).

That is what external storage with portable HDD, SSD, or NAS is for. The
likelihood of needing your entire collection of photo file while on the road
is slim to none. Personally I have little reason to have RAW files from 2004
on a prortable device when I am on the road. Achive your old stuff on a
portable drive, and don’t forget to back up to a second drive.

Thank you.

Can LR manage working with photos stored in sets on a number of USB Sticks?

That is a terrible idea.

You would be better off buying a portable 1 or 2 TB
SSD, or HDD to use when running LR CCC. There are several portable SSD
systems intended for just that.

https://www.sandisk.com/home/ssd/extreme-portable-ssd

That is a very nice looking device...

500/550 Write/Read MB/s
8000/16000 R/W IOPS @4k block

http://www.thessdreview.com/hardware...-review-1tb/3/

That's one damn fast drive for a single device...

Cheers for the link...

https://www.hypershop.com/collection...ve-colorspace-
udma3

I would tend to load up a stick with 1-2 year's worth of originals, so I
would have sticks labelled:

2013-15
2015-17

etc depending on how many photos fit.

Not a good idea.

Is there any reasoning to that? Not being funny (or ungrateful to free
advice) - I just like to understand the "why"

Or do I need to put them on a single external device that's always there
when I use LR?

Yes.

Starting from the ground up here, so trying to decide how to manage
storage of the original photo files. At the moment they are on a big
slow NAS. For LR work, I need them portable as I'll be working on the
train and away from home.

Lightweight portable drives are reasonably inexpensive today for work on the
road, and you have access to the LR CC Cloud storage. Also for work at home
the time has come to improve your NAS.

Maybe - but that's another project (I've just redone my home network and
Wifi and security - one project at a time