Old June 24th 12, 02:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.phot.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
watchmaker

Default [SI] Proposed shoot in

Charles E. Hardwidge wrote:

"watchmaker" wrote in message

[I prefer to repair watches at least 50 years old, and steadfastly refuse
to repair quartz watches. The cheapest quartz watch is about 1,000 times
more accurate than the most expensive Patek Phillippe mechanical
watch...]

http://www.watchmatchmaker.com/1_men...er-speaks.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co-axial_escapement

I remember watching an interview with George Daniels (?) You couldn't help
but be caught up by his enthusiasm for his craft and the accuracy of his
watches in comparison to modern quartz watches. His invention of the
co-axial escapement was genius and had a mesmerising and sensual beauty to
its movement.

George Daniels was one of the most gifted watchmakers of the 20th
Century. I would compare him to Abraham-Louis Breguet for his sheer
talent and discipline in the design and fabrication of watches and
mechanisms which increase accuracy. His book, "Watchmaking", George
Daniels, Sotheby's, London, 1981 ISBN 0-85667-150-9 (2011 edition ISBN
0-85667-704-3) is a revelation even to experienced watchmakers of the
depth and breadth of his abilities and knowledge.

His seminal book on Breguet, "The Art of Breguet", George Daniels,
Sotheby Parke Bernet, London, 1974 ISBN 0-85667-004-9, is an homage to
the most brilliant watchmaker of the 18th Century, who invented most of
what we now take for granted in contemporary watchmaking.

Unfortunately, physics being what it is, a watch with a 4 or 5 Hertz
balance wheel is never going to compete in accuracy with a quartz
crystal vibrating at 32,768 Hz. And stepper motors timed by said crystal
are more accurate than any gear train and escapement, sadly. Still,
there are lots of interesting mechanical movements still being made at
most price points