Old October 22nd 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
Harry Lockwood

Default How to get good black & white from digital?

In article . com,
UC wrote:

On Oct 14, 4:18 am, wrote:
1 -
2 -
3 -
4 -
?

Oh, you were expecting *me* to supply some tips..? No, I'm a no-talent
loser in this area!

I was hoping to hear from those who have tried, successfully or
otherwise, to get high quality black and white results from a digital
workflow. I think it's a given that the printer is a big issue, and
that you need a lot of resolution (eg 200 ppi is probably not going to
suffice!). But I would like to concentrate on the *capture stage* -
what is it that makes a superb b&w image?

A great b&w has a 'look' to it that is often referred to, but rarely
is an attempt made to explain *what gives it that quality* - is it the
tone curve, the dynamic range, the nature of the media, ... I'm a bit
sick of hearing "you just can't do quality b&w with digital" - while I
agree that seems to be mostly true, I want to know *exactly why*...!!!

Seems to me that if the issues can be defined, then maybe there are
some workarounds and techniques that will help to let us digital-geeks
begin to explore the final frontier... If the issues *can't* be
defined, then that also tells me something.. (O;

If I've missed a good site on this topic, *please* enlighten me!!

PS - The answer "use film" - while technically correct - is not quite
the answer I seek...
PPS - Any attempts to answer this thread concentrating specifically on
the issues while avoiding personality clashes, will be greatly
appreciated. (O:

For the original poster: there is an active thread on this subject at
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/D...WhiteThePrint/

It is recommended there that you look at,

http://www.imagenomic.com/products.aspx

for adding the grain common to a number of films.

HFL

--
www.pbase.com/hlockwood
Change hlockwood to hflockwood in email address