Old October 20th 04, 01:21 PM
dj_nme

Siddhartha Jain wrote:
JB wrote:

I am looking to get a digicam with decent optical zoom for my wife's
combined birthday/xmas pressie and was looking at either Olympus

C765-Z or

maybe if I can find the extra cash, possibly a Canon EOS300D or

similar. Are

there any new models coming out soon in this area which may lead to

bargains

on either of these cameras?
Any advice or links much appreciated.

I have an Olympus C-750. The 10x zoom is mostly useless without
stabilization or tripod. If your budget and inclinations permit it then
buy the Canon 300D or go for the Panasonic FZ-20 that has image
stabilization lenses.

If you are just looking for a good P&S and don't need the extra zoom
then look at Canon A80/A95. Very good value for money.
Cheers,

Siddhartha

I use a Minolta Dimage 7i and am quite satisfied with it.
The Dimage A1 (5mp) or A2 (8mp) would seem like an even better deal,
with a 7x zoom and image stabilization.
Neither are DSLRs, but have fairly good EVF and a 4x magnified mode for
manual focusing (if you want to).