Old May 26th 12, 08:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

Default Remember people who forced you to watch their slide shows?

On Mon, 21 May 2012 13:18:56 +1000, "Trevor" wrote:
:
: "Wolfgang Weisselberg" wrote in message
: news : Trevor wrote:
: BTW he always shoots in jpg only on a 5D2 to save time and storage space!
: :-)
:
: And that's bad because?
:
: I wondered if he threw away his negatives as well to save storage space. :-)
: (I told him there was a RAW + JPG option if he needed to save time, and
: storage space was rather a non issue for most people these days)
:
: And it's really bad because he told the audience there was no point in
: shooting RAW, and he didn't understand the loss of dynamic range being
: saved which gives no chance to make satisfactory changes later. He said
: the only difference was a very small loss in detail. For someone who
: taught photography, the least he could have done is mention that his
: option may suit newspaper photo's, but not art photography. But he
: obviously had no idea. Of course he had no idea what "unsharp mask" meant
: either, and his photo's proved the real extent of his other limitations.

I can muster a bit of sympathy for what it must be like to be a newspaper
photographer, with the constant deadline pressure and crappy reproduction of
one's photos. When I shoot an event (always in RAW), the first thing I usually
have to do is convert a few images to JPEG and make them available to our
local newspapers. That can be a bit of a nuisance, especially if the event
ends late at night. But I cover an event every couple of weeks, on average,
which is nothing like doing several a day with even greater deadline pressure.
So I can understand the temptation of relegating everything to quick and dirty
procedures, eschewing such niceties as RAW mode and unsharp masks, as long as
the editor doesn't give me a hard time.

Come to think of it, do we have any newspaper photographers (active or
retired) in the group? I can't recall anyone mentioning having been one.

Bob