Old March 2nd 18, 05:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

Default Scanning negatives

On 03/01/2018 03:39 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

I've "scanned" old B&W old size negs by putting them on a lightbox and
photographing them with a close-up lens. The results were satisfactory.

if it was done properly, it would have been more than satisfactory.

If you were to sandwich the negs between two pieces of glass, put a
large white paper a couple feet away and light the paper, it might work.
Certainly cheap enough to give it a try.

except for the reflections off the glass.

We are lighting from behind. I see now that I didn't make that clear.

The procedure would be camera looks at glass/negative sandwich, white
paper or posterboard is a couple feet or so behind the glass sandwich,
and the lighting is beside (ideally, both sides) the glass sandwich.
Ideally, there is no light hitting the camera side of the glass.

The confusion is mea culpa.

Doing that with color negs would be trickier, as you would have to get
rid of the orange mask along with doing the reversal.

computers can do that without any effort at all.

"Computers" can't do that, software can.
There may be a program or a utility within one of the photo-shop type
programs that remove the orange mask in one fell-swoop, but I don't have
it, nor do I have much need for it.
On the very few occasions that I've needed to remove the mask, I just
played with the color sliders until the color was right. Ideally, I
would have included an 18% grey swatch, then read the grey + mask, and
negated the colors to get back to grey. In the darkroom, it would be
around 60M+40Y.

--
Ken Hart