Old March 1st 18, 08:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

Default Scanning negatives

On 02/28/2018 02:46 PM, Paul Carmichael wrote:
On 28/02/18 18:39, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2018.02.28 07:16, Paul Carmichael wrote:

Looking at scanning a few negatives.

I'll join the chorus of if it's just a few, then get it done by some
local or mail in service.Â* Be sure to get best appropriate quality
which would be around 4000 points per inch sampling.

Nothing local (nor mail-in) and these photos are nothing special
(quality wise).

I've seen some examples of stuff done with 2 bits of glass, a good dslr
and a flash, so might give that a go. Got nothing to lose.

Got a photo from 30 years ago of the wife and kids in a field making
daisy chains. Had it blown up into a poster, but it's faded over the years.

Thanks for all the advice folks.

I'll come back and report in a few days.

I've "scanned" old B&W old size negs by putting them on a lightbox and
photographing them with a close-up lens. The results were satisfactory.

If you were to sandwich the negs between two pieces of glass, put a
large white paper a couple feet away and light the paper, it might work.
Certainly cheap enough to give it a try.

Doing that with color negs would be trickier, as you would have to get
rid of the orange mask along with doing the reversal.

--
Ken Hart