Old April 29th 05, 04:05 AM
rafe bustin

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 21:27:55 -0500, "jjs"
wrote:

"Pathos" wrote in message
roups.com...
Hi Folks,

I am considering purchasing my first medium format camera, as I have
been working in 35mm, and do my own developing/printing. I am
interested in getting a larger negative to get good enlargements at
16X20 or possibly greater.

Don't go 6x4.5. That's a half-step. 645 is just half-frame MF.

It's a significant step up from 35 mm, that's for sure.
And extra lenses won't break the bank. (Eg. $300 for a
fine used 45mm/2.8)

I've made some nice 24x36" prints (IMO) from my Pentax 645.
The 645 (not 'N') should go for maybe $300 with normal lens,
nowadays. I paid about double that, four years ago.

It's a solid camera, a cinch to hold (with the grip) and
the auto film advance is a nice touch, though I could get
by without it. The optics seem fine.

But I understand your point, John. With all the pain of
shooting, processing and scanning LF, I'm looking hard at
moving to 6x7 or 6x9. Jeez, do I really need another
camera kit?

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com