Old October 28th 14, 05:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.os.linux,comp.sys.mac.system
A. Beck.

Default How much EXIF information is tracked by photo sharing sites?

On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 13:04:41 -0400, JF Mezei wrote:

If you upload X, assume the web site has X. If that X contains all your
EXIF data, assume they keep it.

It's one thing to assume, while it's another to actually know.
I asked to figure out if anyone actually knows, since I don't.

There are utilities to strip EXIF data from a photo. In Photoshop, it
isn't so obvious, you have to export to web. That gives you ability to
strip most of the exif data out.

Yes. I often convert to GIF, just to get rid of the EXIF information:
$ convert pic.jpg pic.gif

Or, I just strip out the EXIF information:
$ for f in *.{JPG,JPEG,jpg,jpeg}; do convert -strip $f $f; done

But, the purpose of asking here was to figure out if there are any
known cases where the web site made use of the EXIF information.

Certainly if you know of a picture-sharing site that *keeps* the
EXIF information intact, that would be immensely informative.