Old November 5th 14, 12:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Floyd L. Davidson

Default AA filter vs. OLPF filter

Brianm wrote:
I'm confused by something. Many new cameras today advertise no
anti-aliasing filter (AA) or optical low-pass filter (OLPF). But are
they the same thing?? I came across one article that seems to say no,
saying (IIRC) the Nikon D810 has neither. However, I wonder if some
articles that say a certain camera doesn't have one or the other are
maybe using the terms interchangeably. Is it possible if a camera does
not have an AA filter it still has the OLPF, or vice versa? What's the
scoop?

Every AA filter is necessarily an OLPF. Not every OLPF works in the
range needed to be effective as an AA.

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)