Old April 21st 13, 12:18 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

Default For you aviation buffs

On 2013-04-17 15:09:37 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

On 2013.04.17 17:53 , Savageduck wrote:

It has had a rough life on the airshow curcuit.

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviatio.../1/1612132.jpg

"There are two kinds of pilots. Those who have landed gear up and
those
who will."
(An expression that doesn't hold much anymore but was popular
in the 70's).

A Belgian pilot I knew eventually did the feat.

His name was Guerin. ("gair-ain" in French, but we teased him as
"Gear-i n)

My father managed to get through WWII without a wheels up landing.
However, he remembers July 8, 1944, the day he "got blown up" after a
Japanese warehouse at Fac Fac, New Guinea exploded in front of him on a
low level strafing run, and he flew through the airborne debris. The
result was he had a japanese ammunition case jammed in the intercooler
intake of one of the engines of his P-38L necessitating a 290 mile
single engine flight to return to his home airfield.

It even made it into the 9th fighter Squadron Unit history:
"Until the 8th, the missions flown by the squadron were very prosaic
patrols, but on this date our planes escorted B-25's to Fac Fac. Upon
completion of the bombing all the flights strafed the target with fine
results. Lt. H. "Daddy Duck" strafed a warehouse which turned out to be
an ammunition depot. The resultant explosion threw debris to a very
respectable height. Passing thru all the flying boxes and miscellaneous
matter fouled up the coolant system of his plane, and Lt. "Daddy Duck"
came home on one engine with his right prop feathered, a distance of 290
miles, landing safely. Pieces of ammunition boxes lodged in his
intercoolers bore mute testimony to the fate of the warehouse. This was
an example of good minimum altitude strafing."

http://db.tt/uHYaWaFm

The inspiration for your "Savageduck" nickname is now revealed.

John

Just a "Duck" redaction, or would that be "reducktion"?

....but before he switched to P-38s, he flew a P47D named "BigAssBurd".
I also obscured our last name in the shot below taken at Dobodura, New
Guinea.
http://db.tt/17ViYIJ7

It says "Bigasburd" in your photograph, though.

John

Phingr phahlt! One "S" & two upper case letters too many.

Savageduck