Old April 19th 13, 03:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Russell D.

Default For you aviation buffs

On 2013-04-17 15:21:45 -0700, Savageduck

On 2013-04-17 15:00:57 -0700, Savageduck

On 2013-04-17 14:18:29 -0700, "Russell D." said:

I thought some of you aviation buffs might enjoy this photo that I
took at a mini air show in Driggs, Idaho last summer.

What is wrong with this picture? (Other than it is not that great of
a picture, etc., etc.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25602611/jets.jpg

Russell

As I noted in you post to rec.photo.equipment.35mm (you should have
cross posted here):

At first glance one might believe this to be an F-86 "Sabre" followed
by a pair MIGs. The F-86 as such was never a Navy aircraft, and was
used exclusively by the USAF. However North American Aviation
developed the FJ, FJ-2, FJ-3, & FJ-4 "Fury" for the US navy from the
basic F-86. That is the aircraft in your capture. You should see that
on close examination, your FJ-3 does not have the three on either
side of the nose, .50 caliber guns, but is armed with 4 x 20mm
cannons, two on either side of the nose.
Also, you can just see the tail-hook confirming this as an FJ-4
"Fury", a derivative of the F-86, flown by US Navy & USMC.

I just checked, and it is an FJ-4B. This particular one is serial
number 143575 owned by Richard Sugden. It was built in 1958.
It has had a rough life on the air show circuit.

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviatio.../1/1612132.jpg

Nice capture!

I would add, that #143575 is the last flying example of the FJ-4B
"Fury", and has been restored to flying condition after the wheels up
landing shown above.

I have also taken the liberty to X-post to rec.photo.equipment.35mm as
that is appropriate and on topic for both groups.

Here is that wheels up landing in 2008:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnuKgAcOD2Q

Thanks for the info, Duck. I couldn't remember what the American plane
was. And thanks for the history on the plane. That's pretty cool. The
other two are of course a Mig 15 and a Mig 17. The announcer of the show
said they didn't think that those three types of plane had ever flown
together before. They put on a mock dog fight that was pretty cool. All
three of them are now home based at the airport in little Driggs, Idaho.

Russell