Old March 10th 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

Default How big a laptop screen?

wrote:
I've got to buy a new laptop. Forgetting for the moment whether it's
going to be a Mac or a PC, and all other things being equal (like my
software and relative competence), how big a screen size do I need to
do reasonable photo work?

The Mac Book tops out at 13 inches. The larger Mac Book Pro series is
a bit pricey for my pocketbook. The various PCs -- Toshiba, Dell,
Fujitsu -- can be had for around $1000 with a 17" screen.

I'm using a 17" flatscreen with my desktop PC. Not sure I'd want to go
much smaller. But since I'd have to haul the laptop around the
country, I don't want anything too large, either. (Size matters,
heh.)

Recommendations? Thanks.

Resolution is more important than screen size, because you need to be able
to see your tools along sid eyour image, and still have sufficient pixels to
represent them.

My 13" 1280x800 kicks booty on a 15" at XGA (1024x768).

Don't necessarily buy into the scam that is "wide-screen" laptop, etc. All
"wide-screen" really means is that you've got a LOT LESS vertical area to
work with...meaning documents are a pain, and so are portrait mode pictures.
I think the wide-screen thing was economic genius on the part of
manufacturers...because they got people to believe that slicing off the top
and bottom of their screens was a good thing(!?). It isn't...except to save
a bit of battery life, perhaps.

MarkČ

www.pbase.com/markuson