Old February 17th 04, 10:51 PM
Bob Monaghan

Default homebrew AF confirmation for non-AF kits? AF mf camera

Hi Gordon,

that's an idea; you can buy a stand-alone module for distance measuring,
but the SX70 setup uses sound traveling time/2 to estimate the distance
setting. Bit tricky if you wanted to focus on the middle person in a line,
say, since the return would be from the first one? ;-)

I do suspect that there are some modest cost replacement part AF sensor
modules out there which could be remounted with simple power setup and
diode LED readouts to provide in and out of focus signals using contrast
differentials directly.

Why bother, some ask? Because it would be a lot cheaper than investing in
an AF kit in medium format just 'cuz our eyes are getting older and less
flexible ;-)

I guess I will try asking on the camera fix mailing list to see if any of
the repair techs can suggest a likely candidate module, perhaps one with
only one AF sensor point for simplicity to start. ;-)

grins bobm
* Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *