Old February 14th 04, 03:45 AM
David J. Littleboy

Default auto focus mf camera

"Don" wrote in message
What cameras are there in the Medium Format that are auto focus.I was at
camera store today and could not find one. Anyone have any suggestions for

auto focus MF camera?

I can think of 5 off hand.

The claim is that the Hasselblad H1 is the best/fastest. It's a tad pricey.
I'd guess that it has the best glass.

Other options include the Pentax, Mamiya, and Contax. The Pentax is probably
the most reasonably priced. The Contax glass may be the best of the three,
although the reviews I've seen say there isn't much difference.

There's an AF version of the Rollei 6008, although AF lenses are in short
supply.

I don't know about the Pentax, but all the other cameras have limited
choices for AF lenses. I'd personally lean towards the Pentax. Observing the
landscape magazines in Japan, the Pentax is clearly the 645 camera of choice
for landscape photography here.

All are glacially slow compared to the cheapest Canon Rebel 35mm film
camera.

If you really need AF, you probably don't really need MF. Get the Canon 300D
for your sports, kids, available light work, and a manual focus MF for
quality work.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan