Old August 31st 18, 10:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Default Nikon Z6 vs Sony A7 III and lenses

On 8/31/2018 7:51 AM, Sandman wrote:
In article , wrote:

Sandman:
So, my current setup is a Sony A7 III, a Nikon D800E and a Nikon
Df, and a real assortment of lenses.

With the Z6 getting off to a rocky start review-wise, it's still a
pretty interesting camera, and easily comparable to the first Sony
A7.

My latest thinking, before the Z6 was announced, was whether I
would go full Sony. The A7 III is truly an amazing camera in every
respect. Fastest focusing I've ever seen, and razor-sharp focus at
that.

But, all my high end lenses are Nikon, and I really really love
the Df, so I'm not sure I could abandon ship entirely.

I shot a wedding a few weekends back, using the D800 for most of
the posing shots and the A7 for the mingle shots. The difference
in sharpness and laser sharp focusing is palpable! And I came away
thinking that I should use the A7 exclusively for all my shoots.

But then, the Z6, and what it may promise for the future. And
specifically what it may mean with regards to keeping all my
wonderful Nikon lenses, with a full-featured adapter.

**** just got really hard!

With all that committment in Nikon, you'd actually consider jumping
ship? What about flashes and other accessories? Can you use your
Nikon glass effectively on the Sony?

Also, I didn't know the Z6 was getting bad reviews. Kind of
surprised since it's so new.

I'm just curious. I have no interest in acquiring the Z6 or any
other FF cam.

The Z6/Z7 reception has been mixed, especially considering the sheer awe
reception of the A7 III. There are lots of reviewers that really like the Z
line from Nikon though.

And yeah - jumping ship is a huge step, and I really love my Nikon glass. So I
don't know. I got the Commlite adapter now, so I'll try it out with some Nikon
lenses and see how the AF works on the A7

I am in the middle of a decision. Thinking about trading in my D800. my
D500 is perfectly fine and meets all my needs, except for WA, and color
tonality.

--
PeterN