Old July 18th 09, 05:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
l v

Default Strobe Lights White Balance and Surrounding lights

Pinch of Salt wrote:
"stvlai" wrote in message
Hi

I just got a 2 sets of Strobe lights and the Boom Stand. Got a couple
question I hope someone can help answer

Q1) White Balance
I set the WB to the Gray Card shots that I took manually but the
photos comes out bluish. Normally I use Model lights and set the WB
per the Gray Card and it turns out fine. With strobes lights I am
having this bluish color problem.

Q2) Ceiling Lights turn off?
When I use Strobes lights, do I turn off all the surrounding lights
(e.g ceiling lights etc) and therefore leaving no lights except when
the Strobe lights flashes? Is this way to do it?

Any info would be very much appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

SLKW

I never use a grey card for white balance, because I find that the
results are un-natural. You could use manual white balance, guess to
start with (maybe start at about 6000K), take a few test shots and
adjust accordingly.

[snip]

I thought strobe lights have listed what their Kelvin rating is? Or the
bulbs that came with them. Then set your camera's WB to that Kelvin
setting.

--
Len