Old July 17th 09, 02:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pinch of Salt

Default Strobe Lights White Balance and Surrounding lights

"stvlai" wrote in message
Hi

I just got a 2 sets of Strobe lights and the Boom Stand. Got a couple
question I hope someone can help answer

Q1) White Balance
I set the WB to the Gray Card shots that I took manually but the
photos comes out bluish. Normally I use Model lights and set the WB
per the Gray Card and it turns out fine. With strobes lights I am
having this bluish color problem.

Q2) Ceiling Lights turn off?
When I use Strobes lights, do I turn off all the surrounding lights
(e.g ceiling lights etc) and therefore leaving no lights except when
the Strobe lights flashes? Is this way to do it?

Any info would be very much appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

SLKW

I never use a grey card for white balance, because I find that the results
are un-natural. You could use manual white balance, guess to start with
(maybe start at about 6000K), take a few test shots and adjust accordingly.
If you shoot RAW, it's not such a problem as you can tweak the colour temp
later and batch process the shots.

As for ceiling lights, depends on how bright they are and what power you are
firing the flashes at. You can make daytime turn to night time if you stop
down, meter off the subject and crank up the power of the lights.
Generally, if you have modelling lights on, then you don't really need the
ceiling lights on anyway. With the ceiling lights off, it's also easier to
see the shadows from the modelling lights.