Old May 25th 04, 07:29 PM
Neil Gould

Default MF future? ideal cameras?

Greetings again, Gordon,

Recently, Gordon Moat posted:

Neil Gould wrote:
Gordon Moat wrote:
Editing on a light table is fast. While there are some people who
have learned fast editing on the computer monitor, they are the
exception. Computer editing is a linear process, while light table
editing is non-linear.

I'm not sure what you mean, here. Deciding about edits using slides
on a light table is only the beginning of the process, and in that
regard digital thumbnails (gallery) serve the same purpose. I think
that the time would be comparable, with the edge going to the
digital because zooming in is faster than using a loupe.

The problem is that image files are slower to grab and place side by
side, or several near each other at a time, than when using a file
browser, or digital image cataloguing software.

I see what you mean. In a reasonable digital image cataloging software,
like images would be in close proximity if their filenames were similar,
e.g. xxx001, xxx002, etc. Some image editors (other than Photoshop) also
incorporate a tiling function that allow the display of images in a
user-definable grid. With the right software suite, I don't know that
there would be much of a difference in the time it would take to make a
decision about which images to use.

A separate issue is
that with many medium format transparencies, a loupe is not always
needed right on the first look, so that minimizes the zoom change. I
also have a much larger light table to work on than any monitor I
could ever afford.

Now, that I can understand! ;-)

Regards,

Neil