Old June 23rd 04, 05:01 PM
Dave

Default Sony Cybershot DSC-W1... Bad Camera...Bad Customer Service by Sony... Read on...

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 09:54:54 -0400, Alan Browne
somehow managed to impart:

David H. Lipman wrote:

Don't top post

Good points. I found the same lack of quality support with Sony Vaio laptops. Therefore I
won't buy Sony.

As for using Lithium AA's in the camera. There is absolutely NO reason why you should not
be able to use them. Electrically they are the same as any other AA batteries, they just
last longer. I buy mine from Sears at ~$10.00 for 4 x AA batteries (better price than Radio
Shack).

When the camera manufacturer puts in a warning:
"AA Lithium batteries cannot be used" it is there for a good reason.

Yes, but what?

Lithium batteries, in my experience have a remarkably constant voltage
throughout their long, useful life. Ohm's Law is relevant here.

My Olympus E-10 works just fine on Lithium batteries as well as NiMH.
Alkaline would probably be fine for a short while, too.

Alkaline start off about 1.6 volts per cell and drop to about 1.4
before becoming useless for most digital cameras. NiMH start off about
1.4 volts max and they hold their charge well until the voltage drops
to 1.28 volts or thereabouts.

Lithium keep going for ages at a pretty constant voltage, and hold
their voltage for years. The battery in your motherboard is lithium.

Lithium ion rechargables have lots of electronics inside them as well
as chemicals and are usually device-specific. Nonetheless the
manufacturers class them as consumables and only give a 6 month
guarantee.

Dave.

2000 hi-resolution photos especially Edinburgh &
Scotland. Also 3D rendered art & altered images.
* No advertisements * http://www.henniker.org.uk