Old November 9th 04, 06:33 PM
Bob Kirkpatrick

Peter Werner wrote in message ...
I want to mount a flash bracket on a clamp on a leg of my tripod.

I'm looking for recommendations for:

1) the clamp - Bogen Super Clamp? Slik Clamp Head? Something else?

2) the flash bracket - something that can hold a Sigma EF-500 (which is
a somewhat large flash unit), has maybe 2-3 articulations for
flexibility, and perhaps allows the flash to be flipped horizontal or
vertical. Otherwise, not too elaborate.

Would I need any other components for such a setup?

The Slik Clamp Head will work just fine. You'll need some kind of
1/4-20 thread
to hot shoe adapter. The Hama HA6952 (B&H HAPCHSA) is the kind of
thing you're looking for although I can't tell from the picture if it
has a tripod thread on the bottom. The B&H GBPCHSA is another version
which probably has a tripod thread. You will also need some sort of
sync extension cord and possibly a
hot shoe to PC cord adapter if your camera doesn't have a sync
connector. If your're using Nikon gear the SC-17 takes care of both
ends with a coiled extension and supports TTL. Canon probably makes
something similar.

The Bogen clamp with a Giottos MH-1004 would also work fine and be a
little cheaper but the Slik is a little solider. There are several
mini ball
heads in the $17-$20 range which would be better than the MH-1004 but
then you're getting close to the Slik price.