Old August 12th 12, 03:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Default River shots - yes, with blurred water time exposure.

As chance had it we went for a walk up a small river yesterday
afternoon. Not much to photograph and I didn't have an ND with me. I
did have my polarizer. So set the ISO as low as possible (100) and
slapped on the pol (which given the overcast allowed control of the
clouds reflecting in the water that an ND would not provide).

The first two:
http://tinyurl.com/8k3fn6u
http://tinyurl.com/8nqutyk

To me the second is more appealing. Not something I'd print however.

Then there was this -

http://tinyurl.com/9fqu3nv

But there was no good vantage point to capture the "S" bend well.

But other things that can be done with water is to look for currents
bearing blobs of foam and making streak patterns. This river wasn't
ideal (too much foam everywhere), but there were a couple nice pools.

http://tinyurl.com/9lpdylf

http://tinyurl.com/94za2eg

http://tinyurl.com/97e82lc

http://tinyurl.com/8bpco2n

http://tinyurl.com/9hoswyq

Too much happening to make those really nice, but you get an idea for
the effect. And the polarizer was essential to get rid of the clouds
reflecting in the water.

But in the end I can't help but feel that photographing moving water can
benefit from 'frozen', to slight movement to veils. In the end it's
impact of the image that count, not "what" or "how" it is done and not
whether some people deem it over done or too cliché.

Also had the most painful ever bite from a horsefly. Pain didn't
subside until this morning.

--
"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
-Samuel Clemens.