Old February 19th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Sharpen, reduce noise, in-camera, ugh!

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 22:28:44 GMT, DaveC wrote:
Hi,

I have been online looking at the images from some digital cameras and
reading reviews. Some of the "better" cameras have relatively soft images -
which is explained as being the result of in-camera noise filtering. Some
of the cheaper (and / or more compact) camera images look relatively
sharper - but that is explained as being the result of in-camera sharpening.

This situation discourages me from buying a new digital camera.

I would like to have a camera that does minimal filtering but still saves
images in some low-loss compressed format. I would like to sharpen and/or
reduce noise using image processing programs on my computer - after the
fact, as I choose.

Any ideas, suggested links to information? Can one turn down or turn off
image filtering on any modestly priced compact cameras?

I would prefer a compact or sub-compact camera. I am tired of carrying
around an old SLR.

Some compact cameras support RAW formats, which would let you do all of
the image processing after downloading to your computer. Off-hand, a
few models: Canon S70, Canon G6, Panasonic LX1, a bunch of Fuji
cameras, etc.

-dms