Old October 17th 15, 09:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.epson.printers
Eric Stevens

Default Epson LUT print technology

On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 13:30:37 -0400, Dale wrote:

On 10/16/2015 11:04 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
I have previously written that the instructions for Epson Sure Color
P-800 recommend that with Photoshoop CS3 or later, All LR and also PS
Elements 6 or later - the printer should manage colours. I have
confirmed that with CC LR having the printer manage colors gives a
vastly superior result when using Epson Premium Glossy paper. I may
now have discovered why this should be.

Epson in conjunction with the Rochester Institute of Technology have
taken color management to new levels. The problem appears to be that
while with 8 colors there are a zillion ways to blend them to achieve
a particular color there is only one best way. Apparently the
mathematics are complicated but are vastly simplified by use of a
massive Look Up Table (LUT). Presumably all this is built into the
driver.

Down loading the driver results in about a dozen ICC paper profiles
being installed in Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color but these can
only be used with LR and the like. They cannot be loaded into the
driver which reports that they are incompatible (or some such).

My suspicion is that the LUT is available only when the printer
manages colors. I don't know why this should be but that's what it
seems to be. Apparently Epson's larger printers have been using this
for a while and it is now moving to smaller models.

http://factor.bg/epson/SP9900/Maximu...r_fidelity.pdf is a blurb
which doesn't really tell you much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egLCg3GiXIE is also a blurb but gives
more information.

Whatever the explanation I am banging my head on the wall waiting with
great impatience for a version of the driver which incorporates the
profile for Archival Matte paper.

sounds a little like color rendering dictionaries (CRD) with Adobe
postscript level 2

does the printer driver pull an input profile to use with the output LUT
or does it just assume something like sRGB?

Epson asks that you use sRGB in the image. You can use AdobeRGB but
the driver will convert it to sRGB. If the video is anything to go by,
the driver will then inflate parts of the sRGB gamut to fit the the
printer's gamut. If that is correct the printer's gamut exceeds sRGB.
I would to check on that before really believing it.

Eric Stevens