Old August 3rd 15, 11:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

Default Risked a pot pie

On 8/3/2015 5:36 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Mon, 03 Aug 2015 20:13:33 GMT, "MC" wrote:

PeterN wrote:

On 8/3/2015 8:56 AM, MC wrote:
I wouldn't bother trying to help him at this point.

That's always your call.

He posts his images, often inviting constructive criticism (posting
alone on a ng like this you are going to get that anyway), yet when
you point out even the bleedin' obvious he is in denial he has done
anything wrong. We have all gone over with him the same errors in
his "enhancement" techniques (be it heavy cropping, shappening
etc.) time after time after time yet he still uses the same methods
to hide his inefficiencies in the actual mechanics of taking a
photograph.

The only way he can improve his photography is to dump the
post-processing malarky and practice getting it right in-camera,
posting the images straight out of camera for critique if he wants
"advice" rather than try and attempt to salvage and post the
rubbish in the hope we will not notice.

It's easy to say "get it right in the camera." That is rarely
possible, or practicable, especially with the type of work I like to
do. Could you ever get either of these images in the camera?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/baboon%20%20bliss.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/swooper.jpg

Neither example is becoming of a good photographer. They just show
just someone who can play about with a computer (first one is rather
tacky and horrible, by the way).

Trouble is, you need to get the basics right first before you try and
be something you are not. Gold is easy to make shiny because you have
a naturally shiny sunbstance to begin with. However, no amount of
polishing will make **** shiny.

Also, "A bad workman always blames his tools", this time I notice
it is his monitor taking the blame.

I don't think even you could work on a dead monitor, or even a 14"
laptop screen.

Well then, don't use them. Wait until you have the tools to work
properly, not blame your own inadequecies because your tools are broken.

What on earth makes you think that your opinion is worth having after
a diatribe like that?

I don't recall seeing any of his work. But don't worry, I have a very
think skin. If he doesn't appreciate what I am attempting, that's his loss.

--
PeterN