Old December 20th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chris Loffredo

Default Nikon F2 photomic & nikkormat EL are pre-AI?

Paul Furman wrote:
Chris Loffredo wrote:

Paul Furman wrote:

I'm looking at a 50mm f/1.2 MF lens but the seller wants to sell the
body also, which I wouldn't mind if I could use my G lenses on it.

Are the nikon F2 photomic and/or nikkormat EL pre-AI type bodies and
will they be able to control a G lens with no aperture ring?

The F2 - depending on which version of the Photomic is mounted - may
or may not be AI.

IIRC the Nikkormat EL is not AI and the EL2 is - but I'm not sure of
that.

None of these classic Nikon cameras will work with a G lens (IMHO why
use such junk anyway - meaning the G lenses?).

I've got some very nice G lenses! 70-200/2.8VR 105/2.8 VR micro & a full
frame Sigma 12-24, which I've seen used most often on a Canon 5D, it's
the widest rectilinear full frame lens available.

Well, if you're a Sigma fan...
(and the Cosina/Voigtländer 12mm is just as wide and undoubtedly better)

Also, as far as I've heard, the 50 f/1.2 isn't an especially good lens
(as opposed to the Noct-Nikkor of the same aperture).

Bjorn R. gives it an excellent rating among others. The 58/1.2 noct
costs as much as a nice automobile and I'm looking at $40 for this so
maybe I'll just get the EL for another $50 & re-sell it. They are asking
$250 for the F2, who knows if it even works.

I haven't used it, but everything I've read says that the Nikkor 50
f/1.2 is *not* a very good lens. A good sample of the Nikkor 50 f/1.4
should blow it away.

F2 cameras tend to work indefinitely (with the exception of the
Photomics - though they can be repaired).

Ask yourself *why* you need or want a f/1.2 lens...