Old December 20th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Default Nikon F2 photomic & nikkormat EL are pre-AI?

I'm looking at a 50mm f/1.2 MF lens but the seller wants to sell the
body also, which I wouldn't mind if I could use my G lenses on it.

Are the nikon F2 photomic and/or nikkormat EL pre-AI type bodies and
will they be able to control a G lens with no aperture ring?

I don't see either of those bodies on this chart:
http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/nikon_articles/other/compatibility.html

This chart doesn't mention G lens compatibility:
http://www.nikonlinks.com/unklbil/bodylens.htm

Hmm, maybe I answered my question he
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf2/prisms/index6.htm
"Some of the AI-spec Nikkor lenses introduced in later stages such as
Nikon Series E lens family and ALL the current AF-Nikkor optics are NOT
advisable to use with a non-AI camera such as the F2 Photomic, F2S and
F2SB featured earlier (although they can still be mounted on the camera
and in many instances, Stopped Down Exposure measurement is equally
accurate)."

and:
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikkormat/elseries/el/index.htm
"EL was the first Nikon which provided Aperture Priority AE - in 1972"

I'm still not getting a clear answer on the use of a G lens without an
aperture ring though.