Old November 8th 05, 11:37 PM
Matt Clara

Default Broken Nikon N90 -- Repair, Replace, or Upgrade?

"Matt Clara" wrote in message
"Norm Dresner" wrote in message
About 8 years ago I abandoned the Minolta XK SLR system that I'd been
amassing since 1975 and bought my first AF/AE camera, a used Nikon N90.
It's given me good service since then and I've finally added an N90s and
a D70 along with 7 lenses to the system. But on a recent trip to Italy
the N90 failed -- the mirror's not returning to the down position and the
camera indicates "ERR".

SO ... I have to decide whether to repair, replace, or upgrade. I
definitely want (and many times "need') to have two film bodies in
addition to the digital and I need to be able to use older/non-automatic
lenses (like a 500 mm mirror or a 55 mm AIS macro or the PB-4 bellows)
with the film bodies in Aperture Priority mode. The N90/N90s does this
flawlessly as does IIRC the F100 and the F5/F6, but the N75 that I had
for about 6 months did not and I got rid of it, partially for that
reason.

A new F6 body is close to $2K. While I could probably come up with that
much money, I'm not a professional and probably couldn't effectively use
the additional features it possesses beyond the F100 & F5. (For
reference, I do shoot a lot -- on a recent two-week trip to Italy, I shot
over 2000 digital images and 14 rolls of 36-exposure 35mm film, along
with a few rolls of 120).

A new F100 is $750 (marginally within my self-imposed budget) and a
reconditioned (by Nikon) N90s is $375. I haven't gotten a quote yet for
the repair but based on recent experiences with other equipment I'd
expect it to be in the $100-200 range. (Note: because of the Nikon $200
rebate, the new F100 body and the current used F5 offerings are running
about $750 so there's no price advantage of a used F5 over a new F100.)

What to do? Yes, I'd love a new F6 -- I'd certainly be happy with an F5
too and even the F100 has features beyond what I have with the N90's as
well as faster focusing, ... But as an amateur, there's always the money
issue. I'm quite pleased with the N90s and I certainly wouldn't cry too
much if I simply got a second one but the F100 is very appealing. Is it
really worth twice the price?

Your comments, opinions, and constructive flames will be graciously
accepted.

Norm

Hi Norm,
If you're using a tripod much, a model with mirror lockup could improve
your images, depending on what you're shooting, of course. My next 35mm
will definitely have mirror lockup--in fact, I find myself favoring an old
beat up F3HP over my F100 because the former has mirror lockup. That only
leaves the F5 or F6 (or F4, if you're interested in old technology).
Personally, I'm waiting until the F6 is within my price range, as I don't
need a brick like the F5. Of course, I've got the F100 to shoot with in
the meanwhile...

I should add, the F100 is the nicest Nikon I've ever owned in terms of
ergonomics, and the camera is a pleasure to shoot with--I don't hesitate to
use it for pj style work.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com