Old January 6th 05, 08:55 AM
Scott Peterson

(Dr. Joel M. Hoffman) wrote:

The stabilization will be really helpful in some circumstances. In
general, the narrower the range of a zoom, the better the quality, but
I suspect that the differences in quality will not make much of a
difference in a digital camera.

I bought the D70 with the 18-70 and have not been very happy with it.
It just doesn't feel right in my hands. The focus is the inner ring
and I always reach for it instead of the zoom ring. I'd be much
happier if they were reversed. g It's also way too difficult to do
anything precise at the telephoto end of the range. The scale is
almost logrithmic. Too much at the wide end and too little at the
telephoto where it's needed. Having said that, it's a very nice lens
and I can't fault the pictures taken with it.

The 24-120 works very nicely as long as 40-mm at the wide angle end
is all right. My biggest complaint is that it's a heavy and
relatively slow lens. The VR makes up for a bit of that, but it's
still a handful. You might even consider the older 24-120 as the
prices on those are really down and it's a pretty nice lens.

So far, however, my favorite zoom on the D70 is the 28-105 f3.5-4.5 D
lens. Most of my pictures are taken using a mild telephoto and flash
taking pictures of animals. The combination if this lens and the
SB-800 flash has been very close to perfect for me. I've kept the kit
lens for when I need a wide angle, but other than that, the 28-105 is
the one that's on the camera the most.

Scott Peterson

--
If you try to fail, and succeed,