Old September 30th 04, 09:53 PM
Lila Duncan

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 13:48:54 -0700, "Frank ess"
wrote:

Lila Duncan wrote:
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:32:36 -0700, "Frank ess"
wrote:

Lila Duncan wrote:
On 30 Sep 2004 10:05:47 -0700, Phil Stripling
wrote:

Lila Duncan writes:

My daughter's doing a graphic design course and I want to buy her
a digital camera as part of her required equipment. She got a
hand out from college that gave a list of suggested cameras
covering the whole price spectrum. I've spent some time
researching a selection of them and have ended up further away
from a decision than I was in the first place. :-\

Is part of the coursework expected by the professor that the
_students_ would do the research and actually make their own
decision based on what they determine to be their needs? Then the
students would have the parents cough up the dough, of course, but
the students would then profit by seeing how their selection
actually fit their criteria and whether their process of analysis
actually worked? And could be improved the next iteration?

Yes I expect there might be an element of those things, except for
the part about the parents coughing up, which is much more of a
total certainty. You should understand that even at the student
level, there is a lot to be said for the skills associated with the
delegation of responsibility. My daughter has to leave college at
1:30 pm today and eat her lunch on the move while she travels to
work where she will be until 8:30pm. For her this is a typical day
during at least 6 days a week. Having such a timetable would
certainly encourage me to take what help I could get, were I in
that position.

Judging by the vast range of possible cameras suggested by the
college for use within this course, it's quite clear that the main
criterion is affordability for all, rather than suitability for the
work involved. This being the case, my daughters camera will be
selected with much more consideration for it's purpose than might
have been possible if the affordability issue was more acute.

Congratulations Mr Stripling on showing how smart you are without
giving any useful information.
I've done some more research this evening and have been considering
the Canon Powershot S45, partly because it's the first camera I've
encountered, moving up the price range, that has a RAW file output
option. I've read several learned discussions about the relative
merits of JPEG, RAW and TIFF without fully understanding them but I
do feel that there's some advantage in having the uncompressed file
option.

Sh.

Your self expression is really coming on.

It's for your own good.

Well *you* will be the judge of that, won't you?
Or perhaps you're just a pompous prat.
--
Lila Duncan