Old October 12th 10, 02:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete Romfh

Default Where is everyone?

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 17:24:23 +0100, "michael adams"
wrote:

"Michael" wrote in message

Basically saying, Usenet is dead, it's time is over, and
everything it does can now be done better elsewhere on the
internet.
--
Michael

Better ?

In terms of usability, IME most web forums are about on a par with
Google Groups and chocolate teapots.

The point about Usenet is that all newsreaders follow similar
conventions about displaying threads and messages, and in respect
to quoting etc. Once the user has mastered those for any particular
Newsreader there's nothing more to learn. With web forums they
all seem to follow different conventions. And a majority of users
on many forums seem totally unable to quote, but simply make comments
which are totally devoid of context.

With Usenet it's possible to scan 20 different newsgroups covering
loads of different areas in the space of a couple of minutes, and decide
whether or not there are any threads which seem worth reading.

I doubt that would be possible with web forums.

For Usenet all that's needed is plain text - posters can link to
URL's and pictures if they choose. It's not a case of "doing it better".
In this case at least, no other features are actually necessary.

michael adams

Does this mean I have to get a color monitor and one of those Googley
-- Explorer, browser things? Nothing but a bunch of Yahoo's out
there anyway.

If I wanted my Face in a Book I'd get one printed!

Next thing will be having to stop using Kodachrome in my Contax!

What's the photo world coming to?