Old March 30th 17, 11:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Color management in Windows

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 13:15:35 +1300, Eric Stevens
wrote:

I've continued to pursue this matter and while I haven't got to the
bottom of the way that Windows handles color I may have got closer to
the root of my problem.

It seems that lower priced wide gamut monitors us GB-LED technology
and this, unless properly calibrated gives rise to garish greens and
reds. Calibrating properly seems to entail the use of an i1 which
means that my Spyder5 won't do. See the AnandaTech review of the Dell
U3014 http://www.anandtech.com/show/6890/d...014-lcd-review for an
explanation of how it all works.

"Of course you also have the assumption that more colors = better,
right? Well, unfortunately that isn’t the case. If you only have a
larger gamut and not software that understands how to use that
gamut, what you get are colors that are further outside of the
gamut than they should be. Greens are too green, reds are too red,
and everything looks like a badly calibrated OLED smartphone.
Anyone buying something like the U3014 is going to need to have
accurate colors in any colorspace, and the Dell offers an sRGB mode
as well."

No doubt there will be more to follow.

And there is. See
https://pcmonitors.info/articles/the...ed-backlights/