Old November 27th 08, 12:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
dj_nme[_2_]

Default Need help selecting digital camera

McPhotos wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

snip for brevity
For good prints at 5x7 and reasonable at 8x10 consider a camera with
about 300 dpi potential output:

text erased by "McPhotos"

5 x 300 = 1500
7 x 300 = 2100 X

= ~ 3 Mpixels.

So any 4 or 5 Mpix camera that otherwise meets your needs should suffice.

/text erased by "McPhotos"

Cameras do not have dpi output. Digital images are composed of pixels,
hence, ppi, not dpi. I know you are capable of making this distinction,
so just do it instead of arguing how unimportant it is to you. It may be
important to some who are trying to learn digital processing.

It's pretty darn obvious what Alan Browne intended, the fact that DPI
was confused for PPI is really neither here nor there.
I would only suggest that slightly more resolution is ideal, especially
if you want to crop off extra image detail that isn't relevant to your
intended final image and that 6MP or 8MP would be a better idea.
I'm also not sure that there are many new cameras which are made with
less than 10MP anyway.

I feel that the most important bit these days is to see how easy the
controls are to manipulate and how easy it is to navigate to alter the
settings to your liking.
This can only be done by actually going to a real shop and testing for
yourself.