Old August 13th 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Fred McKenzie

Default UV harms Pigment Inkjet prints

In article , Bill Tuthill
wrote:

The relatively superior performance of pigment inks could be
entirely attributable to the paper, rather than ink longevity.

Bill-

I did my unscientific tests using the same cheap glossy inkjet paper for
three printers, starting in August, 2002. I printed a photograph twice
for each of three printers. One set was kept indoors in a dark place.
The other set was placed inside the back window of my car, which was
exposed to the Florida sun while parked at work.

Dye-based ink from a Canon BJC-85 printer showed serious fading in one
week.

Dye-based ink from an old Epson C60 printer showed about the same
serious fading in one month.

Pigment-based ink from an Epson Photo 2000P showed no serious fading
after one year. You had to compare it to the control print to see the
slight difference.

However the cheap glossy paper didn't hold up very well! The surface
became chalky, and you could easily scratch off the image with your
fingernail. I agree that matte paper should have held up better but
don't think it would have extended the life of the dye-based ink
significantly. Two months instead of one is still a short time.

Fred