Old August 26th 05, 06:18 PM

SMS wrote:

The point really is that just carrying a dSLR (as opposed to a small
camera) is an intimidation tool against these drivers (this was the
original subject of this post). You'd be amazed to witness the change in
behavior of some drivers when you raise the camera and point it at their
car; you can read their mind, "why is he pointing a camera at me?
should I go or stop? oh, I'm supposed to stop so I'd better stop).

Seems to me you are being watched carefully by attentive parents: they
see some kook with a camera in front of a frickin' school. Are they
supposed to think glowing, warm, thoughts of you? They simply have no
idea, nor are likely to care about what you may say -- their bayesian
prior is that you are a _threat_ to their offspring. Sooner or later,
as unjustified as it may be, you will have to explain your presence to
a cop. What evidence can you present to him that you are what you
claim, as opposed to his likely view that you are just some closet
pedophile who is using stop-sign 'violations' as a cover for taking
pictures of kids? But hey, it's your life: carry on!