Old October 17th 07, 06:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Canon G9 vs SX100

Sent to rec.photo.digital

H.S. wrote:
wrote:
On Oct 16, 2:51 pm, "H.S." wrote:
Hello,

Do the Canon G9 and SX100 have any notable technical differences in
their sensors, photo contrast, optical distortion, dynamic range, etc. I
wonder if their side by side photos comparing the results.

I realize they are quite different models. I am just wondering if the
G9's sensor is significantly different than the other's (except the
resolution of course).

-HS

G9 has 1/1.7" sensor (9.5x7.6 mm). SX100 has smaller 1/2.5" sensor

hmm .. so that would result in lower noise level in G9 I presume. Also,
I wonder what does sensor size do to the contrast and dynamic range of
the captured image -- or do they depend on the quality of a sensor?

-HS

(7.2x5.8mm). In area, the sensor in G(9 is roughly 1.7 times larger
than the SX100. The 1/2.5" size appears to be the general size of
sensor in most compact P&S cameras.

More info at:

http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...el.size.matter

http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...rmance.summary