Old June 21st 04, 05:59 PM
Scott M. Knowles

Default Starting camera - Part III

I want to thank those who have helped with the decision about a 4x5
camera system. I plan a visit to the Seattle stores soon (Ye ole'
hands on). I have some more questions after spending the weekend
reading.

First, I've narrowed the choices to a basic entry level field camera,
such as the Toyo CF, or a basic entry level view camera, such as the
Horseman LE (these are for examples but ones I intend to initially
look at). I can understand the recommendations about buying a used
camera, but I wonder if there's any advantages to buying a new one,
besides being the first user. I can see where you get the warranty,
service and support (company and store), and a complete working system
walking out the door.

My interests are for doing hiking nature/landscape photography (mostly
day hikes and eventually 2-3 day trips) and city/townscape and
documentary photography. I'm not concerned too much about weight
since I use a big backpack, but the view camera would have to fit into
that and under ~10 lbs (camera only). I also know I will eventually
probably have both a field and view camera (yes, I intend to stay at
it, it's my post-retirement work), but I'm interested in people's view
of the initial camera (second probably 2-3 years later), either the
field or view.

Second, after reading Jim Stone's "Users Guide to View Cameras", for
the most part he recommends staying with "modern" and later lenses.
I've initally (re)decided to go with a 90mm and 150mm f5.6 (used)
lenses, and a 210/240/270mm (used) lens f5.6/8 lens later. But after
reading the specifications for the choices, there still leaves a
variety of brand and model lenses. Jim pretty much suggests that the
lenses, although different in design, will do the job, and it's
personal choice of brand and model. Is that the case or did I misread
this?

Third, exposure. The books suggest I set the exposure for both the
film and the development (time and developer). Since I'll be using a
local lab for the development (eventually relearning film
development), should I focus on the film exposure and use "standard"
lab development? The book also suggest using the second in the film
holder as a duplicate or the bracket shot. How much does one bracket
a shot?

I'm still working on the final checklist of things I need, and will
have more questions.

--Scott--