Old August 26th 18, 04:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Nikon mirrorless FF's launch. Sony FF sales about to drop. A lot.

On Aug 26, 2018, Sandman wrote
(in ):

In iganews.com,
Savageduck wrote:

Sandman:
In what way did they miss the mark, though?

Start with the single memory slot.

Yeah, that seems to be the only valid complaint.

That and a few AF issues, such as no eye-AF, inconsistant AF-C tracking to
name a few other complaints.

Sandman:
Same resolution, more focusing points, smaller camera, higher
frame rate.

...er, not too much smaller

Huh? It's a lot smaller. It's by far the smallest FF digital camera Nikon
has ever made.

So Nikon is making in-house comparisons.

, especially with the fat “S" glass
designed for the Zs. In a smaller world the M43, and APS-C MILCs
have nothing to fear from the FF MILCs.

But you compared it to the D850, not to lesser smaller cameras.

Of course I compared it D850. It uses the same sensor, and price point so the
comparison is fair. However, if I were in the market for a Nikon FF camera
today I would not be impressed with the Z7, and I would buy a D850.

Then one wonders what Nikon has in mind for all those D7100, D7200, D7500,
and D500 shooters who are waiting for a Nikon APS-C MILC.

Sandman:
The unknowns, at least to me, is focusing speed. I haven't watched
any reviews yet.

From what I have read the AF does not match up to the D850, D5, or
D500, and Nikon isn’t going to erode sales of those cameras with
either the Z6, or Z7. They are going to try to get a piece of the
Sony FF pie, and they are going to pick up sales fron Nikon FF DSLR
owners who have been reluctant to move into the MILC world.

Seeing how Sony A7 focusing speed trounces Nikon today, if they want to
compete, that's an important factor.

Yup!

Sandman:
As far as I can determine, the D850 has it beat on shots per
battery charge.

...and that is another issue. If Nikon is trying to produce a pro FF
MILC it needs to compete with the Nikon pro DSLRs with all specs,
including battery life.

Nikon is trying to compete with the A7, not their own DSLR's. A non-
insignificant part of the photographing world is moving to mirrorless, and
Nikon is missing out. In doing so, their target is not to compete with their
own top of the line DSLR's but with the guys that keep snatching up their
customers.

Unfortunately they are positioning themselves to loose a large share of the
consumer APS-C DSLR market they own, to the other mirrorless options.

For now both the Z6 & Z7 are high priced
prosumer MILCs with a limited native lens availability (admitedly
there is the promise of the “S” lens roadmap).

Indeed, which is exactly where Sony was a bunch of years ago, with the A7.

....and now Nikon is still a bunch of years behind Sony, and the others.

Using F mount
lenses with the adaptor turns what should be a reasonably compact
system into an unwieldly kludge.

Huh? You're not making much sense. The adaptor increases the flange
distance, i.e. it adds bulk that is already present in all current F-mount
Nikon cameras to be backwards compatible. A Z6 plus the adapter would be as
"unwieldy" as a D7100.

I would reserve judgement on that, the D7xxx family are quite lightweight
DSLRs.

even with the adaptor none of their
older screw focus lenses will work. For folks looking for a FF MILC
system they should consider the Sony offerings.

That's already what they are doing. Sony is the only player, and they're
doing a marvellous job, with amazing offerings for prosumer up to pro.
That's the piece of the pie that Nikon is losing and is wanting to get back.
Backwards compatibility with the F-mount is pretty crucial to that, seeing
how Nikon has a hundred times more and better glass than Sony could ever
dream of.

Agreed. However, as promising as the Z-cameras are from the release hype,
they have a long way to go to catch up to Sony, and they might well have
damaged their APS-C market share.

Sandman:
Whether it's a worthy competitor to the A7R III is another story.

For now it seems the Sony has the edge. However, there are going to
be a whole bunch of Nikon FF shooters with legacy F mount glass who
are going to be tempted.

I bet.

Savageduck