Old August 8th 06, 09:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Default Compaq Presario Not Recongnized Memory Cards in Memory Card Reader

Roy G wrote:
"ASAAR" wrote in message
On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 22:34:32 -0400, Newsgroup User wrote:

It is a bit of a pain having 8 "Removable Disc" drives showing up in "My
Computer". (I must disconnect the H.P. piece of crap).
Yet another reason I hate Windows. On my Mac, you just see what you
have a card in. Much better and more intuitive. Guess Microsoft forgot
to copy that from Apple.

For once I prefer Microsoft's method. If I plug a reader into the
USB, I want to see the drive appear even if a card isn't plugged
into it. Card readers are considered to be disk drives that use
removable media, just as floppy, CD and DVD drives do. Does the Mac
also hide empty CD and DVD drives? Much better and more intuitive
would be if it didn't, but had their icons "grayed out" or if it
used some other form of highlighting to allow one to know at a
glance whether the drive was empty or not.

BTW, my HP computer accepts up to 8 or 9 different card types, and
does NOT have 8 removable drives showing up in My Computer. Only
three, or four, max. show up. Maybe that's a difference between
Roy's H.P. Presario and my H.P. Pavilion. Whether it's due to
hardware or driver differences I can't say.

Hi.

There are 8 drives showing because there are 4 Snail Paced Built in and
there is also my USB2 reader Plugged in.

I am still waiting on anything other than the standard useless reply from HP
about my complaint regarding the Built In USB1 Reader, being not a lot of
use to a photographer. If they don't get their finger out soon, I will begin
to get more than a little annoyed.

I have already forwarded my opinion of including such a crippled
'feature' in a top of the line system. Not that they will give a hoot.
So, the next time I go to buy a new system, I will remember to check
for such things, and/or not buy HP. Perhaps when they get enough such
messages, they will reconsider dumping their old hardware into the
higher price systems.
In my case, this is no big deal as I rarely use the memory card reader
in the first place (which is why I never noticed the slow speed), but
rather the one in my printer.

As for Macs, and their so called intuitive systems. I can always remember
putting a blank disc into the CD reader, and nearly having to dismantle the
bloody thing to get it out again. Blank Disc = No Disc = No CD reader
Showing on Desktop. So no way to drag it to Trash to Eject.

Different from PCs - Yes

Better than PCs - No

Just a different way of becoming a Pain-in-the-arse.

Roy G