Old May 16th 17, 04:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Monitor settings

In article ,
newshound wrote:

I just tweaked my monitor settings using a couple of the websites with
"free" setup images and this has certainly improved my views of photos
from a wide variety of sources. However I'm now finding that text in
Thunderbird, Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc. is a bit pale and lacking in
contrast.

FWIW the Duck's recent Yosemite pics look good to me, prior to the tweak
the gopher and river shots would have been a bit lacking in shadow detail.

I don't believe I have any significant visual impairment apart from
presbyopia commensurate with my age (68).

Any views or suggestions, short of adding a second monitor? I'm not a
sufficiently serious user for it being worth getting a proper calibrator.

undo whatever you did and don't use some random website to calibrate
your display again.

Not "some random website". With a bit of experience, it is not too
difficult to identify ones which seem to be covering the bases well. And
I picked two which were clearly independent, and got similar results
from both.

yes some random website.

you never mentioned which one and there are *way* too many variables
for a web site calibrator to work properly anyway. worthless would be a
better term.

I'm currently using settings from the Win 10 tool. A little "brighter"
than my original manual settings, but better for text than the previous
sites.

it will be better than some random web site but your display is still
not calibrated properly.