Old May 22nd 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
harrogate3[_2_]

Default Buying digital cameras - basic vs high end camera

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"harrogate3" wrote in message

You know, whenever I see something about the race for pixels it

always
brings back to mind that famous and similarly related statement

years
ago by Uncle Bill Gates:-
"640K of memory is enough for anyone."

Says it all really....................

It was true at the time.
Inefficient languages had yet to be developed.

The same can't be said for digital cameras where there is an

existing
technology that does the job.
However many DSLRs and a few P&S cameras will do images as good as

most 35mm
film cameras these days.

I treat them like computers myself.. just buy last years model when

they are
selling them cheap.
The new ones tend not to have many real improvements.
The current fashion for IS is making all the older ones very cheap

at the
moment and we have done without IS for the last 100 years.

Ah but the difference is automation.

In our film camera days - especially SLRs - we all knew the
reciprocity rule: never use a long lens at less that the equivalent in
focal length, i,e, a 200mm lens had to be used at 1/200th second or
faster to avoid shake. The modern digicam is made for Mr/Ms/Mrs
average who not only know nothing about shutter speed and aperture,
few know more than switching the beast on and off and pressing the
shutter button. To them IS is a surety of a good picture every time
irrespective of lighting conditions - what is more it also saves the
manufacturer's name making the user more likely to buy the same make
again.

The trouble is nine times out of ten the camera knows better than the
user in terms of exposure and (usually) focus - it frightens me to
think of the number of shots I have lost when I have overridden the
machine!

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com